FROM AN EARTH OX TO YOU
Korean Proverb. Life begins when you are sixty.
Teaching an old person to learn is like asking a cow to climb a tree.(Cantonese)
- THE BLACK OX HAS NOT TROD ON HIS FOOT – RENAISSANCE
- Where no oxen are, the crib is clean: but much increase is by the strength of the ox.
- ITALIAN PROVERB. Moglie e buoi dei paesi tuoi -Choose a wife and an ox from your own town
- A lazy ox is little the better for the goad.
- He goeth after her straightway, as an ox goeth to the slaughter, or as a fool to the correction of the stocks; Till a dart strike through his liver; as a bird hasteth to the snare, and knoweth not that it is for his life. – Bible, Proverbs (ch. VII, v. 22)
- And the plain ox, That harmless, honest, guileless animal, In what has he offended? he whose toil, Patient and ever ready, clothes the landWith all the pomp of harvest.
James Thomson, Seasons
The black Oxe hath not trod on his foot. Who would not let this Calf live till he had been an Oxe, That he might have eaten both brambles and thorns, And when he came to his father's years might have worn horns." "Remains concerning Britain"